[softwarelist] Re: Windows Ovation Pro

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 17:14:49 +0000 (GMT)

In article <tiok55EyEJNRFwAW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Hi,

> In message <5326d549f6dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >Assume for the sake of this question I no longer have access to a RISC
> >OS computer.

> Buy a Pi ;-)

My preface was... "Assume for the sake..."

I don't need to ATM, I still have a functioning (Almost 18 years old)
SARPC, but the day will come.

Trouble with the Pi thing... it's computer meccano and as I've got older
I've lost the old 'find it fun' playing with computer innards.

I'm still quite capable doing the business... I've just repaired and
rebuilt an old defunct PC, now sitting beside this SARPC, and working like
a charm... But these days, I really prefer my computers arriving, ready to
go.

> >I want to add a couple of buttons to my Win OvPro tool bar (Put into the
> >"Custom" applet.
> >Yes DPlngscan for Windows can load a Sprite, but how on the Win side can
> >you create a Spritefile containing multiple sprites?

> Good question.

> I intended to make the Win version write sprites, for my own use
> developing software. Joining individual sprites into a big one is so
> simple one could  do it in a text editor. Writing a small tool would be
> trivial.

> I've no idea about native Win software. At some point I was contacted by
> people doing "all formats under the sun" bit map programs. I was never
> convinced by their efforts - they didn't have the motivation to handle
> all the oddities of the Acorn sprite format.

> Buy a Pi <= best answer

I think the point is rather being missed... This is a what if exercise.
Sorry David, but Pi is not the best answer as it costs lolly.

In my case, and I would assume from the number of folks on the RPCemu
mailing list... As I have a couple of Win PCs in the house,  RPCemu is the
obvious and expense-less route to follow. (No expenditure just for a
couple of sprites).

I have a copy of 0.8.9 running RO 6.20 so ultimately it's not a problem
for someone like me.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid