[softwarelist] Re: Windows 8

  • From: andy.ling@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:08:52 +0000

> Err have you tried Win 8?
>
> It seems to be aimed at tablets, which is fair enough, until you try to
> use it on a desktop. Seemingly good old Windows is under the new
> interface, but you have to know the key presses to get back to it. I've
> not found a 'start menu' (apparently you can buy one or install a
> freebie).

There is an introduction to Windows 8 in the latest Computer Shopper
that gives information about all the "hot keys" plus lots of other
useful stuff.

You can turn off the start screen and get back to something like the
desktop, but you still need to know about odd key combinations.

The "Start" button is still there somewhere, but they have got rid of
the program menu. You now have to use the search facility to find
the program you want, which is fine if you can remember what it is called.
This to me seems the daftest change.

There also seems to be an assumption the people only want to run one
program
at a time and at full screen. My task bar currently shows 20+ windows
open.

Experience suggests every other version of Windows is a turkey and should
be avoided. There have also been rumours from Microsoft that it was rushed
out because Management wanted a tablet offering.

I wont be jumping any time soon.

Andy Ling