[softwarelist] Re: WinOP and multiple monitors

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:33:26 +0100

In article <833a97e84e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message of 25 May, David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In message
> > <OFCF62C015.D3808B1C-ON802572E6.0035E178-802572E6.00365F4F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > el>, Andy.Ling@xxxxxxxxxxx writes
> > >I've just tried running OvnPro 2.92 for windows on a PC that has
> > >two monitors. It appears to be less than optimal :-)
> >
> > A couple of months back I set up my machine with two monitors.
> >
> > >I have things set up with my secondary monitor to the left of the
> > >primary, so could it be related to negative coordinates?
> >
> > So did I. I saw the same effect. I assumed it was just OP limiting
> > the info pal etc. to the (as far as it knows) single screen.
> >
> > There are various OP choices for the info pal and toolbox. For
> > example allowing them off screen. These might help but it depends
> > how you want to work.
> >
> > The current situation is wrong, it needs fixing but I am not in a
> > position to do the work.
>
> Just to prove conclusively that Windows is old hat, two monitors via
> Geminus works a treat for OPro on my Iyonix.

:-)

Interesting conclusion...

Oh, and it works fine here too, and has doen ever since I added Geminus
and a second monitor, over a year and a half ago.

Panes can indeed be pains(!) and I suspect that coding them for all
foreseeable situations is a difficult exercise in pre-cognition (or
something!)  Even in RISC OS, other apps have occasional issues with
panes.  For example, there are corcumstances where Pluto's "attachments"
pane becomes detached (is that a form of irony?) as its position is not
always updated after the main article window is changed.

David P says that he is not able to deal with the above problem is what
might be called Win-OPro (for short) -- but perhaps we have now reached
the point where it might be worth his considering broadening the coder
base from a "one-man band", so that some of these awkward matters can be
tackled.  I don't know how (or if) it would work: I merely suggest that
it might /now/ be worth at least having a look at the idea.

I should perhaps add that I have no personal interest in Win-OPro, but
am simply trying to be helpful.

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!