[softwarelist] Re: Win OvnPro

  • From: David Pilling <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 12:08:29 +0100

Hi Gerald,

On 04/06/2018 09:46, Gerald Fitton wrote:

32 and 64 bit. What I have found is that the 64 bit version is slightly faster than the 32 bit version.
I'd not thought of that. In my experience speed is not what it was. I buy the latest hardware without any idea of how much faster it is. Feckless programmers then throw away any speed gains with poor code.

We've now had the "Spectre" event which has supposedly slowed things down.

I used to benchmark Ovation Pro by seeing how long it would take to format a large text file. But on Windows probably the slowest thing is moving a JPEG around - because I never got around to optimising JPEG rendering.

32 bits lets you address 4GB of memory. Documents have 32 bit values in them. So allowing documents to go above 4GB would mean a new format. Although that could be a simple generalisation of the current format, would one really do that.

The idea of OP docs is that they can be "block loaded", they're an image of memory. Do you really want to load more than 4GB in one go, on the grounds that it is fast.

Many of my assumptions are based on how it was in 1992.

--
David Pilling
www.davidpilling.com