[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs again

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:50:30 +0100

In message <9gvz+jEw5BcFFw6L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> It seems like all you have to do is issue commands to Filer Action if
> you want multitasking, however I wonder why I didn't do that... it would
> for example be better to wait for one copy operation to terminate before
> starting the next. I wonder if you'd end up just coding your own
> multitasking copy.

Which is precisely what DirSync by Jan-Jaap van der Geer does, so
anyone looking for that kind of functionality might want to have a
look at DirSync (I hope it is OK to mention this here - after all,
both are free programs). This is probably not the place to discuss
which of the two is better for what kind of job (I suppose that is
better done on c.s.a.apps), but I wonder whether it is worth while
spending time discussing and implementing extensive changes to
SyncDiscs while there is an alternative tool available that has
precisely the features asked for (plus actually quite a few extras on
top of what SyncDiscs does). Of course, the original poster might
dislike DirSync for some reason or other but the alternative should
certainly be considered.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx