[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs - PC version

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 13:54:20 +0100

In message <483FE9C9.20802@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Michael Hunter <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been using sync discs to make a copy of the files on a network
> drive to a (large) local drive on my PC. Until this week everything
> worked well! However now I find the process aborts immediately. I've got
> no options ticked - and do not use the scrap directory.

> The log file says:
> -----------
> SyncDiscs at 12:36PM 30 May 2008
> Primary Q:\
> Secondary F:\Music

> copy:Q:\\??????? to F:\Music\???????
> -------------
> The error message box which appears says
> -------------
> The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
> (FindFirstFile) (123) (Q:\\???????\*.*)
> -------------
> Any suggestions to solve this problem which has just cropped up.

> Thanks

> Michael--

> Michael Hunter
> mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It looks at though Q isn't mapped to a valid drive.

In My Computer, can you see a drive Q? If so, can you open it?

If not, you need to remap the drive. There are several ways, but the
one which I would use is Start->Run->\\<name of server>
This should open the server (network drive) and show you the shares
which you can map.

You now right-click on the share, select "Map Network Drive", make
sure "reconnect at login" is ticked, and select Q as the drive letter.

Another possibility is that the mapping has changed to something else.
Open a command window (Start->Run and type cmd in the box)
Type net share.
This will show you what mappings are in existence. If the mapping for
Q exists, but is wrong, you can now type net share q: /d to delete the
mapping.

Now you can remap the drive as above, or just by typing
net use Q: \\<name of server>\<name of share> /persistent:y
(The last bit makes sure the sdrive is mapped each time you log in.)

(Just a thought - you aren't logging out and letting syncdiscs run as
a scheduled task are you? - the drive mappings are removed when you
log out. To run like that, you need to specify a UNC path instead of
Q, e.g. \\server\share)

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx