[softwarelist] Re: Spell checking problems

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 15:17:23 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4AF584FD.3020102@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Ian A Dunn <i.dunn2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David Pilling wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In message <4AF3172E.3050501@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian A Dunn
> > <i.dunn2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >> My work round has been to open the !Words directory and double
> >> click on !Boot and !Run close !Words adjust double click and
> >> then load as normal nd it seems then to be OK .
> >
> > Where is !Words?
> >
> > It sounds like your copy of !Words is not being booted.
> >
> > By the way if you double click a folder whose names starts with !
> > that will run the !Run file. ISTR that the first time a folder
> > of a given name is "seen" that !Boot file is run. Maybe you have
> > an empty !Words somewhere that is taking priority over the
> > correct one.
> >

> This !Words lives in the root directory [ if that is the term :-) ]
> of !OvnPro . When I open up !OvnPro the !Words is a buff colour .
> When I have opened it up and double clicked to get it going it
> turns green on closing .

> Of course the next question is how do I search for empty !Words
> please ?

If you Shift-double click on !Words, it will open like a directory.
You should see another directory within it named (surprise, surprise)
Dictionary. Inside this I have !MainDict and !UserDict. These are the
dictionary datafiles. Check the length of them. !MainDict should be
probably well over 100kB. Mine is 217kB. !UserDict will probably be
much shorter since it contains only the extra words you have added
while spell checking. Mine is only 400 bytes - shows how much I use
the spill chucker!

The best place for !Words is in !Boot.Resources since it will then be
booted automatically. If you have it in !OvnPro, then it will not be
seen unless you open !OvnPro every time it is run, or you add a line
into !OvnPro.Run to boot it when OPro is run.

To check which !Words is active, open a task window (ctrl-F12) and
enter the command

show dict*

and press return. You should see something like

*show dict*
Dictionary$Dir : ADFS::Somerset.$.!BOOT.Resources.!Words

This will tell where the active !Words is on the hard drive.

If you want to find other !Words on your drive, use the find facility
in the filer menu. With the root ($) filer window open, click menu
over any file. Follow File 'whatever' -> Find and enter !Words. The
filer will then search and list the location of any found. A better
option may be to download !Locate (by Steve Fryatt) if you haven't
already got it and use that. It is much more powerful than the Filer
find facility.

Chris...

--
Chris Johnson