[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS updates

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:37:01 +0100

In article <ki7c+GBotFWQFw92@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> One point that came out of this exchange, as I understand "disc"
> access on ARMini is slow

The problem is seen when a 'filecore' formatted drive is used over
USB. It is just as painfully slow on an Iyonix. The problem is, of
course, that all disc access on a BB or PandaBoard etc goes over USB,
whereas on eg an Iyonix, the main drives are on an IDE i/f. I did see
it mentioned somewhere (but I am not sure how authoritative the
poster was) that RISC OS SCSIUSB reads/writes single sectors and
updates the disc catalogue each time.

On my ARMini, I use a Fat32Fs formatted drive as the main drive,
which is an order of magnitude faster than the pen drive used as the
'Boot' drive.

--
        Chris Johnson