[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS updates

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:30:48 +0100

Hi,

In message <52d003108bsteven.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Pampling <steven.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
As a long time user of SparkFS and recently the read-only version on the
beagle

Why would you not use the full version on beagle.

BUT - the read only version has NEVER locked up/"blown up" on RPCEmu.
It has on the beagle, but not since I stopped using a Fat32 formatted boot
"disc" (its a memory stick).
Various things have problems when the Fat32 naming issues come into play.
The ROOL fat32 handling needs work...

Interesting. That might be taken as saying SparkFS has problems with file names (there no limits on FAT 32?) or that the file system it sits on has problems.

I had an email from someone using ARMini last week saying he had added files to an archive, seen nothing going on, assumed things had hung, reset machine, and corrupted the contents of his memory stick.

He wanted an hour glass displaying, which has been a common request over the years (quite right), although an hourglass might be mistaken for a hang too.

One point that came out of this exchange, as I understand "disc" access on ARMini is slow, it is therefore a good idea to configure programs like SparkFS and DPScan to avoid using their "virtual memory" features, unlike on an old fashioned machine you won't be warned by a lot of noise what is going on, things will just go slowly.

What was once a feature is now a hindrance. Anyone want to pay for an upgrade where I remove the virtual memory code...