[softwarelist] SparkFS directory time stamps

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Pilling <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:21:54 +0100

Hi,

Someone pointed out to me that RISC OS 5 preserves directory time stamps when copying, but SparkFS does not support this.

My investigation, shows that Spark and Tar files are OK, but Zip files don't allow directory attributes to be updated [1].

This is because originally I did not explicitly put directories in Zip archives - in ancient material you can see sad little notes about creating empty folders after you unpack the archive.

Anyway, I have attempted to fix this [2]. I've done a new SparkFS Zip module. You can get it here:

www.davidpilling.com/zip143.zip

replace the old one in your existing copy of SparkFS, (SparkFS.modules), then double click to load.

However this is experimental, I'd like people to test it and let me know if there are problems.

The code is 20 years old, I may not know the implications of the changes I've made.

[1] permanently updated, only after an archive forget + reload can you be sure you're seeing what is in the archive.

[2] this will only work on archives where there is an actual archive entry for the directory.