[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS and .rar

  • From: Stefan Bellon <sbellon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:12:26 +0100

Robert Greenfield wrote:

> Would it be possible for SparkFS to handle RAR archives, and does
> anyone other than me want this? (hope so!)

First of all, SparkFS once DID handle RAR archives. This was RAR
version 1 and only 26-bit. But I assume you mean a 32-bit version that
can handle new version 3 rarchives?

And yes, I'm interested in that as well. And in fact I have already
been in touch with David about this issue. Problem is, my spare time is
very limited at present, so I have not come very far. But my interest
is there.

A more technically interesting point is, that this UnRAR module must
have to be built with GCC and not with Norcroft, as the UnRAR code for
version 3 rarchives is written in C++. I think there are quite a few
obstacles in the way.

--
Stefan Bellon