[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 00:51:52 +0200

In message <b7fafce24e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <385cf0e24e.chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Chris Hughes <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <2ee03de14e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> The definitive guide is to add the line
>>>
>>> LanMan98Map ZIP &A91
>>>
>>> to !LanMan98.Mappings to solve the above problem and double-click on
>>> Mappings to make it take effect immediately. Proceed in a similar way
>>> for any other missing type you might encounter. There is nothing more
>>> to it.

Famous last words... There is a bit more to it. See below.

>> Mine had
>>
>> LanMan98Map ZIP &DDC
>
> Yes, and that entry is correct and should remain. You need to add an
> additional line as above to add support for the new filetype used for
> Zip files starting from SparkFS 1.40.

My advice to keep the old mapping line as well does not make any sense
because the second mapping actually overrides the first, so you need
to decide whether you want to keep the DDC or the A91 mapping for .zip
files. In contrast to the MimeMap that allows you to map a single DOS
extension to several RISC OS types, LanMan98 has to have a unique type
mapping for each extension, otherwise it would not know as which RISC
OS type to present a .zip file found at the PC end. Unfortunately,
that means that it cannot support both (old) DDC and (new) A91 typed
Zip archives when copying from RISC OS to the PC. Files of one of the
two types always get ,xxx extensions, so which of the two mappings you
choose depends on which Zip file type you use more often.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx