[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Anthony Hilton <ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ovation Pro List <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:41:13 +0100 (BST)

In <URL:news:local.opro> on Sun 13 May, Alan Adams wrote:
> In message <4d8566e24e.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Devon <martin.devon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <JfqOhWBRQvRGFwbi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> <wistful musing> I think a lot of people have trouble with this area,
> >> pity that there's no fix. In other words next week this topic will start
> >> again somewhere </>
> >>
> > At the risk of stirring up more mud, there is an interesting
> > difference in the mapping schemes between LanMan98 or Sunfish on one
> > hand and HostFS in VirtualAcorn on the other.
> >
> > (Assuming type a91 is mapped as .zip)
> >
> > A zip file called "new" saved under LanMan98 appears on Windows as
> > "new,a91" while a file "new/zip" appears as "new.zip"
> >
> > Under HostFS "new" appears as "new.zip" and "new/zip" turns up as
> > "new.zip.zip"
> >
> > Interestingly HostFS cannot copy a zip file"new" as "new/zip" in the
> > same directory.
> >
> > HostFS is happy to interpret say "new.zip" and "new.jpg" (as seen in
> > Windows) as two files both named "new" in the same directory but with
> > different icons, while LanMan98 produces new/zip and new/jpg
> > respectively.
> >
> > Martin
>
> A couple of years ago, while I was setting up file sharing using
> VRPC+HostFS, and Lanman98 to the same PC in each case (in other words,
> both to the VRPC emulator, via HostFS to the PC disk, and to the
> Windows system via LanMan to the same disc), I managed to create two
> apparently identical files in the same directory. By identical I mean
> that Windows reported the name, size and creation dates as being
> identical, yet there were TWO files in the one directory. It even let
> me delete ONE of them!

Windows was probably hiding file extensions of registered files.

Just as on RISC OS, if there are 2 files they have different names, even if
Windows is "helpfully" hiding part of the name and making them appear the
same.

> I mention it now because I think the mechanism involved copying a file
> with and without the /extension corresponding to the RISC OS filetype,
> e.g. a text file called fred and a text file called fred/txt. (I
> renamed it between copying attempts). Instead of replacing the file,
> HostFS seemed to have created an identical duplicate.

Because .txt files are registered in Windows to Notepad by default fred.txt
will often show as fred in the explorer window with a textfile icon and the
file fred without extension will have the windows "unknown filetype" icon.

> I also spent considerable time ensuring HostFS's and LanMan98 used the
> same mappings. Without that step, there was considerable confusion in  the
> file system.

Anthony

--
ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx