[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Phil <philco@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:17:12 +0100

On 11 May, Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4ee1334571dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           wrote:

> > Indeed, you've reminded me why I had it set the way it was. Aside
> > from you lot... All my customers that have computers systems, are
> > using MS-Windows, so when I sent them attachments, they would be very
> > confused by a file called "Refurb.Jpg,c85" or "Modification.Dxf,dea

> But the whole point of the mapping system is to avoid precisely that.
> If you have a mapping between .jpg and &c85 then a JPEG saved from
> RISC OS as Refurb/jpg ends up as Refurb.jpg on the PC, not as
> Refurb.jpg,c85. And it still has filetype JPEG when seen from RISC OS.

> > So I set it with Notypes Y and forgot why. Now I've remembered... If
> > I continue to remember, I'll change it when I want to transport RO
> > stuff... Then change it back again afterwards.

> No, that would be silly. You can have the best of both worlds without
> having to change anything. Simply add the required mappings and
> everything just works. As I wrote in another post, it is really hard
> to imagine any kind of circumstances where Notypes Y makes any sense.

I'm reading these posts with interest, but where does one obtain a
definitive copy of the map and, how do you stop any other application
using its own map (if that happens). Where is Notypes by the way.

When transfer files across to an XP machine from my RiscPc via LanMan98 I
see the ,extension added. I live with it, but I appreciate I don't have
to.

Apologies if I'm asking out of topic here.

Phil

--

philco@xxxxxxxxxxx