[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS 1.41 (RISC OS) - Zip size max?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:01:32 +0200

In message <4ee1334571dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Indeed, you've reminded me why I had it set the way it was.
> Aside from you lot... All my customers that have computers systems, are
> using MS-Windows, so when I sent them attachments, they would be very
> confused by a file called "Refurb.Jpg,c85" or "Modification.Dxf,dea

But the whole point of the mapping system is to avoid precisely that.
If you have a mapping between .jpg and &c85 then a JPEG saved from
RISC OS as Refurb/jpg ends up as Refurb.jpg on the PC, not as
Refurb.jpg,c85. And it still has filetype JPEG when seen from RISC OS.

> So I set it with Notypes Y and forgot why.
> Now I've remembered... If I continue to remember, I'll change it when I
> want to transport RO stuff... Then change it back again afterwards.

No, that would be silly. You can have the best of both worlds without
having to change anything. Simply add the required mappings and
everything just works. As I wrote in another post, it is really hard
to imagine any kind of circumstances where Notypes Y makes any sense.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx