[softwarelist] Re: Spark archives and Linux

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 13:57:52 +0100

In message <4edb21b77cfreelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Fraser <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

I've got a few Spark archives that I've recently copied over to my Linux
machine (Kubuntu 7.04) and found that I couldn't open them. Is there
anything on Linux that will open spark files or would it be better to
convert them to zip instead?

Going way back, there is a command line tool for UNIX with source code called 'nspark'. Off hand I don't know its location, but over the years when people have asked I have managed to track it down via Google etc.

You'd be better off using Zip files for new work. I think Zip has been a better format since 1992, when I proposed the extensions necessary to use it for RISC OS files.