[softwarelist] Re: Spark Reads File SparkFS Can't Open

  • From: Mik Towse <mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 10:49:52 +0000

In article <mpro.mj6ujd005542n01r0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.invalid> Jeremy Nicoll
- zf freelists  wrote:
> Mik Towse <mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I save my business invoices in a ZIP file...
> Taking a different tack to the other answers... why do you use a zip?
> What's the point these days?  Disk space is cheap.  And if you were just to
> store the invoices unzipped, you'd be able to use file-search utilities to
> search through them.
You make a good point, but almost 30 years of Acorn / RISC OS use instills
habits & principles that are difficult to shake. Even today I try to ensure
that my Excel spreadsheets, for example, are as small & efficient as
possible.

Also, being a single file, backing up was quicker 'back in the day'. ;)

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse@xxxxxxxxx * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net