[softwarelist] Re: Selecting thin lines in OPW documents

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:35:29 +0100

David Pilling wrote:

In message <44E41631.3090603@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes
Do you have more details on this? When I started my current DTP project using OPW, I was inclined to go for a line width (in tables especially) of 0.25pt. However, when the documents were converted to PDF using Acrobat

A "thin line" is a line of zero width.

Really? I must admit I hadn't interpreted the description of "thin" on page 117 of the manual in quite those stark terms. Who was it who requested a telepathy applet? Put me down for a dozen ;)

Zero width is supposed to be understood as a special value and rendered as one pixel wide. Which is not so bad on screen at 90 dpi, but is likely to be invisible at 2400 dpi or whatever your printer does.

This also means you can't rely on the width being the same for layout purposes.

That's very useful to know. Then, presumably, I could experiment with various different resolution settings in Acrobat Distiller to see the effect on "line width" and determine the optimum line width for the final copy.

The applet "prepress" will tell you if your document has any zero width lines in (so you can remove them before printing).

Also useful to know ... but in this case I know exactly how many thin lines there are. Too many!

Many thanks.
--
CB