[softwarelist] Selecting and grouping items in nested frames - OPW 2.92 (12 Jan 2011)

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:11:55 +0100

OPW 2.92 (12 Jan 2011)

With a set of frames etc which are nested inside each other, which I may
want to group together, I know I can bring frames to front or back one at a
time, but how do I select the ones I want to group together?

Is it a case of alternately bringing one to the front and Ctrl-clicking each
successive one to select it?   (I know about Cttrl-Shift to lasso various
items, and C-S-double-click to select whatever's hiding behind teh current
frame - but if you can't see it how can you tell that's what you want
selected?)

It seems to me that by bringing things to the front to select them, you
alter the frames' relationships with each other, and you'd need to repair
that later.  It kind of implies that the only way to group a set of nested
frames together sensibly is to select the innermost one and its enclosing
one, and group those together.  Then select that group and its enclosing
frame, and group them.  Then select that group and its enclosing frame...
and so on.

In the document where I was trying this I've got so confused about what's
behind what else that I've dragged all the subframes to different parts of
the page so I can work on their contents and am not going to overlap them
all again until I'm further on, and then do the grouping.  Is this what
everyone else does?

(The aim is to create something quite complicated and then duplicate it
multiple times on the page.)

Is there any way to see a list of frames (in DDL?) or an applet, so one can
more easily choose which ones to select and group together?

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own