[softwarelist] Re: Scanning transparencies Epson 1660 RISCOS

  • From: John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:26:58 +0000 (GMT)

> On some Epsons you have to remove a panel from the lid to reveal the top
> light.

> It is common for the connecting lead between the lid and the scanner to
> have come unplugged.

> Software - the software needs to tell the scanner to scan in
> transparency mode. Presumably you are ticking the right box, but what
> then? If you click on preview then transparency preview scans must be
> set up. If you click on any sort of predefined scan which does not have
> the transparency flag set then a non-transparency scan will take place.

> Finally, there is a question over which version of the scanner driver
> you have. There were problems in the early days with the newer Epsons.
> I'd better send you the latest version.

One more thing I found when I first scanned slides that might catch people
out (though it might be different on the 1660, mine is a 2400).  The
slideholder strip has a gap at one end that lets light through, and I
assume is used to calibrate the brightness.  If you put the strip the wrong
way round, the detector can't see the light here, assumes the light is very
dim, and winds the wick up, so you get an almost white image.

John

--
John Harrison -  http://www.jaharrison.me.uk
Message sent from a British built Iyonix PC running RISC-OS 5