[softwarelist] Replacement Transient Utilities (A9, new RISC OS)

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 02:46:34 +0100

Slight snag with this new version. I was told some weeks ago that the
latest version of RISC OS i.e. on the A9 requires transient utilities
with special headers.
grateful that you have made the necessary changes; and look forward to
downloading the updates.

OK, the great TU (transient utility) thing.

Which only worries you if you are using an A9 with protection against transient utility code with no headers turned on. Otherwise relax.

I've redone Ovation Pro 2.77. The upgrade is available from:

http://www.davidpilling.net/ovationpro/upgrade/op277.zip

All that's gone on here is that I've uploaded a new upgrader, which in addition to the last version copies over the new IfExists utility. Given this you might be better to read on...

There is an archive of replacement transient utilities here:

http://www.davidpilling.net/apptu.zip

This covers the three TUs which are used in many of my programs.

IfExists
IfIs2D
!Run

the latter is used in almost all Ovation Pro applets.

So if you're fussed, you can upgrade your TU files. Applets are going to be a complete picnic, because for years to come you will be getting applets which don't use the new !Run TU.

I will upgrade the applets on my web site only when new versions appear for other reasons besides the new TUs. I can't justify spending the time just for these TUs.

I don't control all applets, there are many produced by third parties. Some of these authors are no longer active in the RISC OS world.

The good news is that the TU is only used if you double click an applet to toggle it on/off.

-- David Pilling email: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx web: http://www.davidpilling.net post: David Pilling P.O. Box 22 Thornton Cleveleys Blackpool. FY5 1LR UK fax: +44(0)870-0520-941