[softwarelist] Re: Removing local effects

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 01:24:43 +0000

David Pilling wrote:
In message <45A295D3.9030407@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes

You replace the text Style#1 with the name of your style.

It would look like

{string s;int i=0;while(getuserstyle(i++,s,1)) if(s=="My Style") addstyle(i-1)}

What happens? Without the quotes you'll get something like "syntax error in macro".

Originally ... with the quotes nothing happened; without the quotes "syntax error ..." Since then, I've reinstalled OPW in the way you recommended and restarted the computer, and now I can get it to work. Curious.

I have created new userstyles for Italic, Bold, etc. I have created a macro button for each style and assigned a keypress to each style

At which point my eyes start to glaze over (and I designed all this). Let me run through how this would go.

I have a style that sets bold, and I assign to it key press Control+Shift+F4

I then create a button macro and I give it the body

{'CS_F4}

Is that what you've done?

More or less. But I've used {A_F1}, {A_F2}, etc., without the single quote character. Those key combinations didn't seem to be used for anything else.

DDL. When I open up the DDL in OPW, invariably I find that the macro buttons no longer work. Edit Style shows me that the keypress definitions have disappeared from the dialogue ... and I am unable to replace them using the keyboard.

It looks to me that there may be a bug here - when I just saved a DDL file there was no key definition with the user style. I can't see why you cannot replace the key presses - make sure the window has the focus.

Following the reinstall, I can now replace the keypresses.

But there's no doubt about the disappearance of the keypresses when saving as DDL. In all, I have keypresses assigned to five styles. The only one that shows up in the DDL is one that I assigned to a style called SmallCaps, which I created (along with a new button sprite) back in the days when you were working on Unicode support for OPW (or possibly before). I used keypress F2 for that style (as far as I can see, F2 is otherwise unused). It shows up in the DDL as {keypress "F19"} ... can that be right?

I don't know if this is a problem with OPW, with my default document, with my particular installation of OPW, or my installation of XP. What I do notice is that quite often when I double-left-click on an OPW file icon, the document fails to open with an error message to the effect that Windows cannot locate the application. When that happens, Right-click>Open usually does the trick.

The actual error is: "There was a problem sending the command to the program".

Hard to see why you should lose the file extension association. Unless there is another program you have that wants to use the same extension. If I was faced with this I'd look in the registry and read off where .dpd points to. I can tell you where to look if you want.

Fire away ...

If you install Ovation Pro then the file association is redone. Don't mess about uninstalling, just run the installer again.

Done that. Creating macro definitions and entering keypresses into the Edit Style dialogue now seem to be working correctly. But the double-left-click-on-OPW-icon error hasn't gone away. I have a vague memory there was a similar issue a while back (in the Unicode testing days) when I was using a different computer box but the same mouse and keyboard. I may have something on that in my email archive.
--
C.B.