[softwarelist] Re: Referenced images and DDL

  • From: Anthony Hilton <ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ovation Pro List <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:51:35 +0100 (BST)

In <URL:news:local.opro> on Tue 26 Jun, David Thomas wrote:
> Anthony Hilton wrote:
> > In <URL:news:local.opro> on Mon 25 Jun, David Thomas wrote:
> >> The manual for PrivateEye was getting rather big, so I've factored the
> >> images out to their own directory and turned them into references.
> >>
> >> However I've just noticed that the DDL version when loaded isn't
> >> resolving the references and none of the images appear.
> >>
> >> Any ideas what's going on?
> >>
> >> It's OvPro 2.77 on RISC OS.
> >
> > Are the references absolute full path or relative to the document
> > location?
>
> Relative.

It might be helpful if you post the syntax you've used in the DDL file.

I have just tried a few variations and there does seem to be somthing amiss
with Opro 2.77 (26 Feb 2007) on RISC OS.

A full path reference in a DDL file works as expected:
  PICTURE_11f={picture {reference "RAM::RamDisc0.$.Test.sa00"} }

Changing that to a relative path as per the example on p143 of the manual
results in a blank picture frame with a cross through as though Display
Images was off.
  PICTURE_126={picture {reference "{filepath}.^.sa00"} }
Selecting the picture frame and Menu > Picture > Reference results in a
Type=5 error.

The effect is the same if the relative reference is created in an OPro
documemt which has been saved, then the DDL file is exported with the above
relative syntax. Double-click the DDL file to load it and save as a new OPro
Doc. Close that and re-open it still doesn't display the picture and gives
the Type=5 error trying to see the reference information.

Re-opening the OPro doc generated from the DDL file and saving as DDL shows
the presence of the picture frame but no picture information.

Opening a DDL file with relative path for a referenced picture and
immediately re-saving as DDL saves without any indication of what picture
belongs in the picture frame.

Dave Thomas - can you test with a simple Opro document with a single picture
frame and confirm this behaviour or detail what you do see. Beware of the
Type=5 errors - Opro closes with no option to save any open documents.

Changing the name of the directory {filepath}.^ (in this case
RAM::RamDisc0.$.Test.Reftest.^ to RAM::RamDisc0.$.Reftest.Reftest.^) so that
the old expansion held within an Opro document is no longer valid and
re-opening the document the picture is still displayed. Editting and
re-saving the document, even opening the reference Dialogue box editing and
saving dpesn't change the original full path seen iin the OPro file when
viewed in a text editor.

David Pilling - Is there any way to use a dummy path (even OvationPro$Dir)
when reading a DDL file with relative picture references so that the
{filepath} can be resolved when the file has been saved and is re-opened?

Anthony

--
ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx