[softwarelist] Re: Referenced and Proxy pictures

  • From: Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 16:16:40 +0100

I've combined your two replies into one message:

In message <96oaIKDVXN6NFwrU@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> In message <95928bdd51.Dentrassis@mail>, Gavin Crawford
> <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>I have a 33Mb document that consists of a large number of hi-res
>>images, all referenced, but all set with a low-res/quality proxy
>>image. When loading the document it takes just under 5 minutes to open
>>the document window after d/clicking on the file. During this time
>>there is repeated flashes of the HD LED in bursts, as if each
>>referenced image is being loaded and a new proxy image being created.

> I would not think the proxies should be recreated, it would obviously
> take a lot of time and be undesirable. The thing which does spring to
> mind is that OP may think the images have changed - different timestamps
> maybe and that is making it refresh the proxies.

No nothing has changed with the timestamps, and saving then re-loading
still makes no change.

>>David, the document in question is the knitting book "A Stitch In
>>Time" which I sent you a copy of back in 2009.

> It is a great book. I am happy to hear it was done with OP. I may have
> forgotten but I don't think I took that in at the time (doh).

Yes, that's the main reason I sent it to you to. It was produced using
Ovation Pro on RISC OS, and also using a bunch of other RISC OS
software such as ArtWorks, Photodesk, DPlngScan, plus a few custom
ones of my own. I've done some other books since that one, also in
OPro but nothing as big only 80 to 100 pages.

In message <4byLgQE$kN6NFwJR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Oh hang on. There is an option to check for fonts in graphics on load,
> kinda like missing fonts in documents. I wonder if that is the problem -
> graphics all Draw files?

Yes, that's it - Fantastic!
With 'Check for missing fonts' unselected it now loads in a
staggeringly fast time of 5.47 seconds. Which is a massive improvement
compared to waiting almost 5 minutes. Thank you so much for that
suggestion, it makes the prospect of doing the volume 2 much more
appealing.

There's about 125 ArtWorks files in the book, all containing large
JPEG images, which now I think of the loading process and each one
having to be scanned for fonts, it's no wonder it was taking so long
to open the document.

Gavin