[softwarelist] Re: Really, really 'Colour printing from OvPro'

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 20:35:10 +0200

In message <52b258e3aclists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "Chris Bell (Lists)" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My colour printing thread seems to have been hijacked by another
> question, so please allow me to start it again...

> I've produced a 2-sided OvnPro document which includes some colour
> photos:
>    www.prostate-cancer-support.co.uk/docs/sponsor2012

> If I print this direct to my PS printer (using a PS2 or PS3 driver)
> then the printed colours are awful - as if they've been reduced to just
> a handful of full tones.

I printed this to a file using the PS3 driver and looked at the file
(2,617,118 bytes) and all the colour information is there, so the
degradation of quality happens inside your printer. Maybe it has run
out of memory?

You can improve the chances of printing these images correctly by
allowing OvationPro and the PostScript driver to pass them to your
printer in their original format, i.e., as compressed JPEGs. At the
moment, OvationPro has to expand them to uncompressed full colour
bitmaps because you have some picture processing applied. Please note
that you cannot remove the processing once applied, so in order to try
this you need to delete the frames and reimport the images.

Martin