[softwarelist] Re: RTF Filter at the end of the Universe (RISC OS 32 bit)

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:29:33 +0000

Chris Johnson wrote:
In article <45AA2019.1090504@xxxxxxxx>,
   Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chris Johnson wrote:
In article <45AA091E.50304@xxxxxxxx>,
   Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

That works. But I still have the "Shared C library out of date"
problem.

The SharedCLib problem is due either to an old version being
softloaded from somewhere early in boot (the CLib can only be
softloaded once), or an app that requires the later version not
checking and loading it correctly.

Hmmm ... well, I have removed all the files from within
!System.Modules (to a place where they cannot be soft loaded),
leaving only  Clib 5.53 in !System.310. Modules. Running a search
with !Locate suggests that is the only Clib available.

David Pilling's new RTF loader is the app that generates the error message (I haven't tried other loaders). But since no one else has reported a problem with this, I assume the cause must lie elsewhere.

Well, David should know a lot more than me about this but...

I have looked at !Boot, !Run, and the !Convert and !Server binaries,
and Messages in TransRTF. Nowhere is that error message that I can
see, or any attempt to RMensure the CLib module. Maybe this latter is
the problem.

Open a taskwindow (ctrl-F12) and do a *h. modules. Check what version
of the SharedClib is active. It may be that no other apps on your
system are actually softloading the SharedCLib, and TransRTF doesn't
itself so there is only the old ROM version active.

That's the explanation --- it seems to be loading the ROM version instead of the version in !System.310

*ROMModules shows SharedCLibrary 4.98 as active

If I put Clib 5.53 in !Boot.Choices.Default.Boot.PreDesk and reboot, then *ROMModules shows ShareCLibrary 4.98 as dormant, and *h. modules lists CLibrary 5.53

... and, of course, that works around the "Shared C library out of date" problem.

But why do I have to put Clib into PreDesk. Why isn't it being picked up direct from !System.310 ?
--
C.B.