[softwarelist] Re: RTF Filter at the end of the Universe (RISC OS 32 bit)

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:42:38 +0000

Chris Johnson wrote:
In article <07aacea44e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the interests of a reasonably speedy boot that gets to the end
without hiccups, I agree with you.  Further there is the matter of
keeping the !Boot directory small so that it can be copied or
backed up easily.  (And in the last respect holding browser caches
in Boot is not good news.)

So the question is what is the speediest and least complex place to
put such applications:

  1. Resources?
  2. One of Apps, Printing and Utilities?
  3. Listed in Look At in Boot Configure?

What I do is to create a directory (I call mine 'RunAtBoot') into
which I put all the Apps I normally run at Boot, e.g. SparkFS, Zap,
MoreDesk, etc. I then drag this one directory into
Configure->Boot->Run and all the apps in the directory are run during
boot up.

That works. But I still have the "Shared C library out of date" problem. After installing the Castle Shared C lib (by running the SysMerge file) I seem to have different versions in two places:

Clib 5.47 in !System.Modules

Clib 5.53 in !System.310.Modules (I take it this is the Castle version)

Should they both be there? Are they conflicting with one another? (n.b. this is under VRPC)
--
C.B.