[softwarelist] Re: RTF Filter at the end of the Universe (RISC OS 32 bit)

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 01:04:48 +0000 (GMT)

In article <07aacea44e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the interests of a reasonably speedy boot that gets to the end
> without hiccups, I agree with you.  Further there is the matter of
> keeping the !Boot directory small so that it can be copied or
> backed up easily.  (And in the last respect holding browser caches
> in Boot is not good news.)

> As well as listing the applications in Look At, they will all, I
> believe, be Looked At if they are put in the Apps, Printing or
> Utilities directories.  The only trouble with doing the one of the
> latter is that there is a limit to the number of such applications
> before an error message is generated in the Boot process.

> So the question is what is the speediest and least complex place to
> put such applications:

>   1. Resources?
>
>   2. One of Apps, Printing and Utilities?
>
>   3. Listed in Look At in Boot Configure?

What I do is to create a directory (I call mine 'RunAtBoot') into
which I put all the Apps I normally run at Boot, e.g. SparkFS, Zap,
MoreDesk, etc. I then drag this one directory into
Configure->Boot->Run and all the apps in the directory are run during
boot up.

This means there is only the one entry in Configure->Boot->Run for a
number of applications. If there is a problem with booting at any
time, there is only one entry to be removed from Configure->Boot->Run
to stop all the apps being booted. If you then need to check for
problems with individual apps, each in turn can be moved into a
different directory until the culprit is found.

      Chris...

--
Chris Johnson