[softwarelist] Re: RTF Filter

  • From: Christopher Bryant <christopher.bryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:10:18 +0000

David Pilling wrote:
(5) Footnotes - hmm well yes, there's a great deal I have not done. Comes down to the usual problem of what is useful.

This would be. Of course one can sweep round it to some extent, by first editing the original RTF to replace the slash-asterisk before a footnote by a marker of some sort, but it would be better done in the background if possible, because it's not simple to find in editing where the numerous nesting brackets finish at the end of the note. What makes this serious, as I've said, is that now part of the original disappears without a trace (and without warning). The remedy doesn't have to be elaborate - even just a line feed before and after the note text would be a big help.

I'd be interested to know how the new RTF filter compares with the old one.

Well, there was at least one annoying bug it's good to find has disappeared - failure to deal with endashes.
   Regards
     Christopher