[softwarelist] Re: PostScript and PDF

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:34:15 +0000

In message <4938E4D0.8030201@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> writes

"The font OP_Times_New_Roman is missing. Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font. The font OP_Times_New_Roman_Italic is missing. Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font."

I'm going to have to investigate, I'll reply sensibly later.

My recollection is support of the font substitution table (but this has to be "hacked" there is no documented method for Windows and so results are not certain) and that I made all names (even substituted fonts) of the form OP_XXX (which is something I could have avoided). My notes say "fonts in printers won't have Unicode glyphs so download if any are used".

I've not observed font substitution today, and it is easy to see font definitions in the PostScript, looks like:

%%BeginResource: Font OP_Arial
%!FontType1-1.0: OP_Arial
%%Creator: Ovation Pro
12 dict begin