[softwarelist] Re: PostScript 3: It all started here...

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:55:51 +0100

In message <d35a21a750.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

Back in April 2006 there was a discussion on this list about a
PostScript 3 driver for RISC OS with David stating:

Earlier this year I came to the conclusion that doing an improved
PostScript printer driver for RISC OS would be easy - lets say a
"level 3" driver to go with the existing level 1 and 2 drivers.
[...]
The point about "level 3" is that PostScript level 3 provides a very
simple solution to many of the horrors in the current Acorn drivers -
for example rendering sprites with a mask.

I like that quote 8-)

So, after three and a half years have passed, we (John Tytgat and
Martin Wuerthner) are finally happy to announce the first release of
our PostScript 3 driver for RISC OS.

Well done Martin and John.

applications we needed to guess what these assumptions were and make
sure they are still valid. OvationPro certainly gave us a few
headaches (but we did solve these problems in the end).

I would have changed it, in fact all the OP PS code is visible you could have changed it.

You may need to raise peoples appreciation of how bad the existing PostScript drivers are. It's not as simple as "I don't have a level 3 printer therefore this is of no interest to me".

There was an interesting article in the last but one issue of Archive which discussed some of the issues.