[softwarelist] Re: PostScript 3: It all started here...

  • From: Ross McGuinness <farmstay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:02:43 +0800

In message <6e7d4ca750.Jo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John Tytgat <John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <e3a84ba750.farmstay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

>> In message <d35a21a750.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Back in April 2006 there was a discussion on this list about a
>>> PostScript 3 driver for RISC OS with David stating:
>>
>> I am one of the people who has been waiting for this and am most
>> appreciative of all the effort put into it. Congratulations and
>> thanks!

> You're welcome.

>> I tried to print a 33 page document from Ovation Pro (v2.77 28 jan
>> 2009) but it came up with an error message after what turned out to be
>> 13 pages.

> What error message ? Were you be able to print that 33 page document
> with the old PS2 driver ? If not, did you got the same error message ?

Error from OP
not enough memory

Haven't tried it on PS2 but previous attempts to convert OP docs to
PDF had the same error. (ie not enough memory) some gave up the ghost
when they came across a lerger image 1+Meg and sometimes created a
'pixelated' copy or even a blank space where the image shgould be. If
we printed in smaller segments ie pp1-5 then pp6-10 it seemed to be
more successful. On occasion only replacing the offending image (s)
resulted in useable PDFs

>> This it soldiered on with and produced a readable PDF -
>> something that the PDF2 driver didn't.

> You probably mean PS2. sorry PS2 which we used PrintPDF to generate
> PDFs to send to the printer.

>> As I have an Iyonix with 400Mb of RAM still available and 140Gb of
>> space on my HDD I assume it is something in OP that is restricting the
>> PDF3 process (as it did in PDF2) The document is one with a large
>> number of images including multiple images on individual pages in some
>> cases. We try to restrict the image sizes to under 800k for half page
>> and full page and smaller than that (in physical size on the page) to
>> 200-400k
>>
>> Can the settings of OP be adjusted to allow more memory to be
>> accessible for the use of printing with PDF3?

> FWIW, our PS3 driver (and PS2 AFAIK the code), doesn't consume more
> memory or other resources with larger or more images (aside: this might
> change when we'll implement greying of JPEG images but that's not
> currently the case).

Many of the images are coloured ones but also include scanned b/w
photographs (generally scanned in colour as it seemed to give less
problems)

Regards
Ross

--
Ross and Bev McGuinness, Cinnamon Coloureds Farmstay
1800 South Coast Hwy DENMARK  WA 6333 Tel:+61 8 9848 1781