[softwarelist] Re: PostScript 3: It all started here...

  • From: John Tytgat <John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 02:51:55 +0100

In message <e3a84ba750.farmstay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> In message <d35a21a750.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Back in April 2006 there was a discussion on this list about a
> > PostScript 3 driver for RISC OS with David stating:
>
> I am one of the people who has been waiting for this and am most
> appreciative of all the effort put into it. Congratulations and
> thanks!

You're welcome.

> I tried to print a 33 page document from Ovation Pro (v2.77 28 jan
> 2009) but it came up with an error message after what turned out to be
> 13 pages.

What error message ? Were you be able to print that 33 page document
with the old PS2 driver ? If not, did you got the same error message ?

> This it soldiered on with and produced a readable PDF -
> something that the PDF2 driver didn't.

You probably mean PS2.

> As I have an Iyonix with 400Mb of RAM still available and 140Gb of
> space on my HDD I assume it is something in OP that is restricting the
> PDF3 process (as it did in PDF2) The document is one with a large
> number of images including multiple images on individual pages in some
> cases. We try to restrict the image sizes to under 800k for half page
> and full page and smaller than that (in physical size on the page) to
> 200-400k
>
> Can the settings of OP be adjusted to allow more memory to be
> accessible for the use of printing with PDF3?

FWIW, our PS3 driver (and PS2 AFAIK the code), doesn't consume more
memory or other resources with larger or more images (aside: this might
change when we'll implement greying of JPEG images but that's not
currently the case).

John.
John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx                             ARM powered, RISC OS driven