[softwarelist] Re: PostScript 3: It all started here...

  • From: Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 19:21:26 +0100

charles  wrote on 9 Oct:

> one of the things I always do is to check the scale of a picture in the box
> below.  If it is much less than 50%, it's always worth changing the
> original size of the image since it's much bigger than is really needed.

and remember filesize is affected by the SQUARE of the scale:  if you
go for 50% scale, the resulting bitmap shrinks to a QUARTER of the
size.

in general, the megamegapixel pictures you get from modern digicameras
are hardly ever needed (in my opinion) are hardly ever necessary
unless you're printing wall-size posters.   somebody more expert than
i could usefully give us a formula to follow.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk