[softwarelist] Re: Plustek OpticFilm support?

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:09:19 +0000

In message <4f63991b04sbellon@xxxxxxxxxx>, Stefan Bellon <sbellon@xxxxxxxxxx> writes

I'd like to know whether the TWAIN2 driver supports the Plustek
OpticFilm range of scanners. And in case it does not, what good-quality
film scanners are supported on RISC OS 5.

I think the answer is no.

RISC OS 5 does not have a parallel port, and the Plustek drivers are parallel only.

The Plustek drivers are very low level, they talk to a specific scanner chip and control every action of the scanner. That means it is unlikely the drivers would work with a different scanner.

As far as my drivers go, your choice for scanning film is a flat bed Epson. Modern flat beds do a reasonable job on 35mm images. Not as good as dedicated film scanners.

I did do a 32 bit version of the Nikon Coolscan 3 driver, but you bump into the lack of SCSI cards.

I'm not familiar with the Plustek film scanner. I suspect that some low cost film scanners will not be much good. I've not seen it, I can't say. It always interested me how much better the Nikon mark 3 was than the Nikon mark 1.