[softwarelist] Re: Pictures referenced to ADFS::

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:37:27 +0000

Hi,

In message <7AB34BA62EED45D8BFBFA768BAEEDDF5@PC01>, John Grogan <johngrogan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Having decided to move from my ageing Iyonix to VRPC, I realise that I now have hundreds of documents with pictures referenced to ADFS:: Is there any way of changing these to point to HostFS:: other than the obvious?

There are lots of things you could have done... using system variables, using macros in OP. I think I recently hit on the idea of using a macro that called a script function - gives great versatility.

I think the manual recommends using document relative paths.

Actually that gives me a useful thing to say, there's an option "collect pictures" which will put all your pictures in one place and change the paths to point there.

Of course you may want to use the same picture in lots of documents and keep it away from the documents. There is nothing to stop you using the collect feature with lots of documents in the same folder - so all the pictures end up in one folder.

What you'd really like to do is alias ADFS:: to HostFS:: it sort of sounds plausible, but I can't think of a simple way. I'd not be surprised if someone has hit this problem before with other software and worked out a solution.

The solution I can think of is to write a filing system - a very simple one that maps all ADFS paths to HostFS ones.

Then you come to things like using a search and replace program on the documents and cleverly changing ADFS::$ to <XX$XX> i.e. a string the same length.

Perhaps someone can tell me if there is a program that changes binary files and can be launched from the command line. ISTR once writing something called "fileofix" [1]. There's that program Paul Beverly had written to do clever changes to files (can't recall the name or if is text files).

This latter suggestion seems reasonable if you can find a search/replace program.

This crystallises my thoughts, I should add an OP event "referenced image path", which would let people stick in code to map paths as they wanted.

[1] you can tell how long ago that was from the name being a play on "file o fax", I think it came on the Hearsay 1.XX discs.

 post: David Pilling, P.O. Box 22, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool. FY5 1LR. UK