[softwarelist] Re: Picture import problems - OPW 2.92 (12 Jan 2011)

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:01:12 +0100

Hi,

In message <mpro.m2s4fc005923802yg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

In an empty OPW document I dragged three separate BMP files to three
full-page frames.  The first pic got displayed at maybe 1/8 full size
(though if I dragged its frame out to full size it did get scaled-up).

The second pic immediately displayed in its full page frame at full size (or
about 90% as the scanned image is bigger than the frame).   Why didn't this
happen for the first file?

When I dragged the third BMP OPW said it wasn't an image and did I want to
import it as text?  Why didn't OPW recognise this as a BMP?

When you drag and drop a picture in to a frame. If the frame is empty and is not an auto linked master frame, then the picture is imported and converts the frame in to a picture frame.

In the other cases, the picture causes a frame to be created in the text flow. In this situation there is some logic which says how big the embedded frame is, if it is too big then you get a text overflow from which there is no easy way of recovering.

My preference for testing things is to create empty text frames and load pictures in to them.

The easy thing, open document, dump picture in to the default frame, gets us to the auto create of embedded frames thing which is open to more problems.

The "import as text" case sounds like a bmp file with the wrong extension.

I'd have to see the bmp files to offer more comment - there are many different versions of .bmp the files can contain information like resolution which may be misleading.