[softwarelist] Re: Pasting from global clipboard problem (RO)

  • From: Ewen Pring <Ewen_Pring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 10:48:06 GMT

In message <995bb9194f.ewen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> sent on 29 Aug
          Ewen Pring <Ewen_Pring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've a number of documents/templates that have been around for years,
> and which exhibit problems with pasting text from the global (but not
> local) clipboard. Pasted text can appear in the wrong place (not at
> the cursor), the wrong text frame, or not at all.

> I have spent a few hours trying to track this down- and I can't,
> exactly. But I do now have 2 stylesheets, one will not paste into the
> main text frame when freshly opened, but the other does.[snip]

> The 2 stylesheets produce apparently identical documents, a binary
> comparison reveals minor differences in the bytes however.[snip]

I've found* the cause of this problem.

If I set the text inset of any frame to 0mm, text will not paste
(Ctrl+V) from the global clipboard into the beginning of that frame,
whereas setting it to 1mm has no problems.

Note that the text must have been placed on the global clipboard by
another application- I'm using StrongED. Text copied from elsewhere in
the Ovation Pro document does paste without issues.

N.B. My Ovation Pro global choices are set to use the global
clipboard. I also run the 3rd party utility IcnClipBrd, but killing it
makes no difference to the problem.

If there are already any characters typed into the frame, the
clipboard will paste into it after them, just not when the the frame
is empty.

This also applies to the master frame, which is the reason why only
one of my apparently identical blank A4 stylesheets allowed text to be
pasted into it and the other didn't.

Since there is also a global choices option for the default text inset
of frames, if I set that to 0mm, I cannot paste from the global
clipboard into any newly created frame from that point on.

Regards
Ewen

* by way of saving the 2 stylesheets as DDL, using SideDiff to compare
and re-sync them until the problem went away, then translating the
differences found back into actual settings in Ovation Pro menus.

--
Ewen Pring, St. Albans, Herts
using Iyonix,  RISC OS 5.13, Ovation Pro 2.77 (8 Dec 2007)