[softwarelist] Re: OvationPro 2.77(Iyonix) - large document memory problem

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:29:00 +0100

Hi,

In message <5166c7ea01david.rooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Rooke <david.rooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
hours signing up with 'free lists' and then searching the archives. I now
admit to defeat in finding an answer.

The archives are available to Google on my web site:

www.davidpilling.com/cd/support.html

Dave suggested using Ovation Pro for Windows - good idea and it will cost you nothing. Available from around the above URL.

I have OPro 2.77 on Iyonix with 256Mb of memory
I have produced a document containing images and text totalling a size of
171,637,160 bytes

There is always the thing about address space. What happens is that you have plenty of memory, but you run out of memory addresses. I always think that will not be easy for non-experts to understand.

Every program on RISC OS can claim a dynamic area, and the dynamic areas are by default as big as the memory in the machine. Problem is that once you've run a few programs address space runs out - particularly if you have a lot of memory.

So someone invented a way of limiting the maximum size of dynamic areas. What I guess may have happened is that you've got this limiting feature set up to limit the size of the OP dynamic area to less than 256MB.

I've forgotten what this is called or where it is set up (been discussed here many times).

You can also actually run out of address space, just run a few programs before OP is run. Even if they're not using much memory they can claim a lot of address space.

The stuff in the manual about quitting programs etc. is old fashioned, but even so before you run OP and expect to load a 170MB of memory you'd better have that much memory free in the task manager.

1) Why was the document o.k. before saving it, if there really wasn't enough
memory available?

Good question, documents tend to be compacted before being saved. But the external conditions may have changed.

2) Is the problem that memory is short? Or is it that OPro won't access the
other 84Mb (or thereabouts) that seems to be left

See above.

3) Is there anything I can do - or try -  to get the document to load on the
Iyonix as it is?

See above.

4) If not, will purchase of additional memory solve the problem?

If the address space is the problem no. The solution is to start using referenced images. Even if you had more memory the ARM processor is not really up to shifting it all about.

5) If not, is there any way to extract any of the contents of the file?

As above.

A bit of an experiment, keep dropping large pictures into an OP document, look at the OP dynamic area in the task manager and see how big you can get it. Let us know.

 post: David Pilling, P.O. Box 22, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool. FY5 1LR. UK