[softwarelist] Re: OvationPro 2.77(Iyonix) - large document memory problem

  • From: David Rooke <david.rooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:05:25 +0100

I carried out the experiment suggested by David P.

On 16 Oct, David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A bit of an experiment, keep dropping large pictures into an OP
> document, look at the OP dynamic area in the task manager and see how
> big you can get it. Let us know.

On my 256MB Iyonix with only !Alarm and !Orinters loaded and no RAM disk I
loaded 8,7MB sprites into approximately half-A4 page frames until I got the
'Not enough memory' message. At that point the OP dynamic area showed 127952K
and the Free memory (in 'Applications Tasks) showed 99560K. That seems to me,
based on information shared in other emails, to indicate that it is indeed the
addressing memory that runs out rather than the computer memory itself.

I did the experiment twice; the first time I forgot to zero the RAM disk.
However it made no difference. I have my RAM Disk set at 10MB so I would have
expected an extra image to be loaded before memory ran out. This was not the
case thus providing further evidence that addressing is the cause.

--

David
-----

david.rooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx