[softwarelist] Re: Ovation Pro new version 5th. January 2010

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 07:00:25 +0000 (GMT)

In article <gemini.kvuk4i00cbi7a02j0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > AVG Anti-virus is causing the issue. Here is the solution:
> > 1. Open AVG resident shield.
> > 2. Choose manage exceptions.
> > 3. Under Resident Shield Directory Excludes choose Add Path
> > 4. Browse to your App install directory
> > 5. Choose OK      ^^^

> Surely that's a bad idea, telling AVG not to look at files in the
> directory that your newest files/installers are in?  Isn't that one of
> the most likely place for viruses to be?

I guess Jeremy, technically yes, but nothing in life is that simple...

The suggestion was not to turn off Resident shield monitoring for "Program
Files" as a whole directory full of "Apps", but to turn it off for the
specific "App" install directory (In this case Ovation Pro) leaving
everything else in Program Files to be Shield monitored.

It's not every App install that presents the Err message, just a few.

In most cases it's just a warning, if you continue the install, it
finishes okay.

Dave

Doing a manual scan afterwards can override those setting anyway.

I wanted to install OvPro, I'm sufficiently computerate to understand... I
have additional measure in place... So in my case no risk.
D.

--

Dave Triffid