[softwarelist] Ovation Pro RISC OS 2.77 10th March

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 21:30:28 +0000 (GMT)

In article <51b2f6ac07riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <51b2e2b3e1dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In article <51b2ddcce6riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > [Snip]

> > > I back up SA-VRPC on a WindowsXP machine to an identical SA-VRPC
> > > on a W7 laptop and that's fairly painless: ShareFS is reasonably
> > > fast.  [ . . . ]

> > > About 6 months ago I saved all the XP's RISC OS files and all the
> > > crucial programs onto CDs  [ . . . ] I'm sure there must be a
> > > better way, especially since I have an external USB large HD -
> > > but I need a simple and reliable way!

> > Dunno about your specific circumstances Michael, but here I have a
> > NAS device DS110J attached to the home network of multiple physical
> > computers, some with multiple OSs, I have no problems backing up
> > the RO stuff to the NAS and retrieving it, Filetypes intact, using
> > LanMan98/2 with the correct NoTypes setting.

> I knew it would end up with Grandad teaching me to suck eggs after
> all! 8-) Thanks for the pointer, Dave. I'll start trying to mug up on
> LanMan. But I did specify "simple", and the WSS site isn't giving away
> much information!

> However, the OvPro site doesn't seem the appropriate place for me to
> continue this.

> Michael Harding
> Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael, LanMan 98 V2 StandAlone is quite simple to use.

My DiskStation (NAS) LM setting are:

Server: DiskStation
Share: Public
User: MyUsername (Obviously not the real one)
Password: MyPassword (Obviously not the real one)
Notypes: N

Contact me privately if you want to chat more about it.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid