[softwarelist] Re: Ovation Pro RISC OS 2.77 10th March

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:18:46 +0000 (GMT)

In article <51b2ddcce6riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> I back up SA-VRPC on a WindowsXP machine to an identical SA-VRPC on a
> W7 laptop and that's fairly painless: ShareFS is reasonably fast. But
> to back up to an old Risc PC (in my case, a Kinetic) is painfully slow
> - the network's mis-matched and the server keeps getting lost.

> About 6 months ago I saved all the XP's RISC OS files and all the
> crucial programs onto CDs [so that they could be available also to the
> Kinetic, if needed]. It was somewhat arduous in that each component
> had to be zipped to preserve the R-O filetypes. But it's a good
> feeling to have an archive.

> I'm sure there must be a better way, especially since I have an
> external USB large HD - but I need a simple and reliable way!

> Michael Harding
> Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dunno about your specific circumstances Michael, but here I have a NAS
device DS110J attached to the home network of multiple physical computers,
some with multiple OSs, I have no problems backing up the RO stuff to the
NAS and retrieving it, Filetypes intact, using LanMan98/2 with the correct
NoTypes setting.

(No archiving required to preserve RO types).

Dave

--

Dave Triffid