[softwarelist] Re: Ovation Pro DDL file weirdness

  • From: Roger Foden <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:09:18 +0100

In message <gemini.jlizvd03kg21s0idt.tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Tony van der Hoff <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ovation Pro 2.76 running under RISC OS.

> I have a document, for which the Master for the front page is shown at
> http://www.vanderhoff.org/tony/masterpage.jpeg. The lower frame (headed
> "sysyem design") is a grouping of the 4 constituent frames. All 4 have text
> runaround set to off.

> If I save this document in native format, all is well. However, if I save it
> as DDL, and reload it, I get the effect shown at
> http://www.vanderhoff.org/tony/frontpage.jpeg, which obviously is
> unacceptable. The Master page for this offending document is still
> represented correctly, and fiddling with the master, and subsequently
> closing it fixes the main document, but if I save this as DDL and reload,
> the error is once again visible.

> So, it this a bug, or am I doing something stupid?

> I have a second problem with this same document. It contains a number of
> JPEG images (screenshots). These are captured on my linux box, so I can't
> use sprites.

> Saving in native format is once again fine, but when saved as DDL, and
> re-loaded, when I scroll down to the first graphic, I get an error box
> stating "Incomplete or corrupt JPEG data". The OPro window then reduces to
> minimum size. If I restore this, and scroll down, the first screenshot is
> indeed shown to be corrupt. Reloading this works, and all the other
> screenshots are fine. However, saving as ddl, and reloading, shows the
> identical circumstances.

> Once again, is this my incompetence, or have I tripped over something nasty?

> In case anyone's wondering about my interest in DDL files, this is so that I
> can keep the diffs in subversion, to control the changes. However, this is
> not the cause of the problem, as saving the document locally to the RISC OS
> hard disk shows the same problems.

> A cut-down version of this document is available in DDL and native format at
> http://www.vanderhoff.org/tony/doc.zip.

> Any help/advice will be gratefully acknowledged.

I tried loading your downloaded documents (DDLFile and text) into
OvationPro v2.76 running on RISC OS 5.13 (Iyonix).

DDLFile consistently failed; OvationPro crashed with a type 2 error.

The file 'text' loaded; the first page looked OK, but scrolling down
to page 3 froze OvationPro and the machine: the mouse arrow was stuck
on the scroll tool. The situation could not be recovered or terminated
with Alt-Break; those keys had no effect. The only recovery was a
total reset.

I can't help further I'm afraid apart from to suggest there is an
error somewhere within the actual original document. Try saving as
plain text (no styles) and then laying the whole out again on a
totally new set of Master Pages. It may be that there are conflicting
styles somewhere within the OvPro document.

Regards
Roger
--
roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx