[softwarelist] Re: Ovation Pro 2.92 (19 January 2007) Windows

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:38:15 +0000

geoff.potter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
In message <45B10AA3.7050706@xxxxxxxx>
          Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

David Pilling wrote:

Recently we had a discussion about text effects in Ovation Pro, and it
came to light that there is no way of removing an individual effect.

In the latest version of the program I have added a sub menu "Remove" to
the Text menu which shows the effects active at the caret or in the
selected text and lets you remove them one by one.

I notice that <Swap case> is not treated in OPW as an effect. Any chance
that it could be so treated, and included in the new <Remove effect> ...
or would I be pushing my luck?

Why would someone want to swap the case of a character/word/sentence/paragraph/document as an effect? And then remove it?

I can think of a number of situations where I might want to do this. Currently, I'm editing a book of conference papers each of which has it's own bibliography comprising many individual references with a variety of effects set (italics, superscript, etc.). Originally, I had used a combination of caps and small caps for authors' names (e.g. Smith, J. --- with small caps applied as an effect over the lower case letters). The publisher didn't like it. So, I replaced the small caps with caps using Swap case ... but I had to do this manually for every single name in every single reference in the volume (many hundreds of instances). This is what prompted me to enquire about Remove>effect in the first place. Now the publisher doesn't like the CAPS and wants me to change everything to, e.g., Smith, J. (this time without small caps). If David's new remove>effect could reverse Swap case, then the task would be very much quicker.

I know ... I should have used styles instead of effects. But that's water under the bridge.

I would have thought it was an action not an effect...

I'm not sure I see much of a difference between the two in the example above. In publishing, there are situations where you might want to use CAPS as an effect ... and so the possibility of removing it again from a text selection would be very useful.
--
C.B.