[softwarelist] Re: OvPro for Windows

  • From: Colin Wood <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:41:27 +0000 (GMT)

In article <mpro.kwe4qj010o35c02lq.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve
Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 Jan, Colin Wood wrote in message
>     <50da1633f0colin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > I wonder if someone could help me here?

> [snip]

> > If not, the over-complex OpenOffice? or what about GoogleDocs -
> > of which I've no experience at all.

> [snip]

> > Since we use Firefox on the pc, and have Thunderbird installed
> > (but only used for sending out some email such as pics from the
> > pc), that was my first thought. However, study of the help files
> > - there seems no on-line manual - I can't see anything about the
> > ability to personalise as we have Pluto. I presume I am missing
> > something!

> What do you mean by personalise?
using filters or whatever to get mail into 34 different boxes, plus
mailing lists plus ng.

> I'm writing this in M-Pro for Linux.  It seems familiar enough to a
> RISC OS user.
Familiar, yes, but as I said I couldn't get my head round it -
learning curve too steep or whatever - and I had some off-list emails
from others who'd tried to make the transition from Pluto which made
me give it up  ... and yes, I know it's being developed and is well
thought of by its users.

> [snip]

> > The alternative seems to use GoogleMail, which I've avoided but
> > which my son uses with satisfaction. He's in the US so can't help
> > directly. Can this be personalised anything like Pluto? Can I
> > access ng using it?

> This is all *way* off topic for this list.  However, all of the
> software is free, and you can download it, install it and play with
> it yourself.  You don't need our help to do that.

> As far as Google goes, just consider how happy you would be to
> allow the data you would be editing to get on to a remote server
> somewhere over which you have little or no control.

All these points taken, but I am in quite exceptional circumstances
at the moment and need the help urgently.
I have responded in detail to Steve, whose help to me in the past has
been much appreciated, off-list.

Thanks to all who have tried to help - any further ideas/
recommendation would be most helpful.

Regards to all,

07:35:00