[softwarelist] Re: OvPro and paper

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 22:12:45 +0000 (GMT)

In article <sz9OazIz4mWPFwRo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Hi,

> In message <526de24a2adave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >I have no idea what sort of printer driver is being used on Windows, it
> >was just installed off the HP 2055 series CD.

> Seemingly that printer does PostScript so one option is to drive it
> using a PostScript driver.

> >> Are you using a print setting in OP like "fit" or "centre"? because
> >> they will make the print position depend on the paper size the
> >> printer tells
> >As far as I can tell no.

> To check expand the print dialogue - tick "print setup"

> If you don't have those options set you can change the print position -
> or to put it another way if they are ticked you can read off the print
> position.

The only thing ticked is "Centre" The greyed out X and Y measurement are
the same in both RO and Win (miniscule measurement).
Centre ticked in both versions.

After my last posting, I decided to go at this kinda backwards.
I took note of the default page size in the Windows print dialogue, and
using that created a new paper size in RO Printers.
I printed out OvPro for Win DocumentSample.
The identical document is also contained in the RO OvPro Statnry, so using
the new printer size paper I printed the same document from RO.

Still didn't match, but by tweaking the RO paper width and height,
sacrificing a few tree branches, I was able to get it so the document
printed from either RO Ov or Win Ov... to print the same... Well, to
within a gnats thingy.

Tomorrow when I'm refreshed, re-check.

> I'm probably drifting into false memory territory, seem to recall RISC
> OS lets you twiddle the print position deep in the insides of the
> printer driver files.

> Anyway I think I'd be happier knowing both Windows and RISC OS were
> using the printer in the same mode. Even out of PostScript, the printer
> does PCL 5 and PCL 6.

> Look at it this way, what are the chances of PostScript and PCL (on
> Windows) landing in the same place on the paper, one of them must be the
> closest to RISC OS.

Mmnnn! I'll think about that tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.
Dave