[softwarelist] Re: OvPro and paper

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:15:26 +0100

In message <62DF47B1-2E4C-4910-B4B5-D0227BF088FE@xxxxxxxx>
          Clive Bonsall <c.bonsall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2012, at 20:01, Dave Symes wrote:

>> In article <mpro.m0sec6001uxh30314@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>   Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> So... you need to install a PS driver instead of a PCL one?
>>
>> Sorry, don't know 'nuffink' about all that, I just shoved the supplied CD
>> in the drive and let it get on with it.

> You could always install Adobe's universal PS driver (free) ?
> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=pdrv&platfo
> rm=win

You could, but you would be far better off with HP's PostScript
driver, which offers all the printer-specific options. You can have
both the PCL6 and the PS drivers installed at the same time. Most
users will find it impossible to tell the difference between the two.

By default, HP install their printers as PCL6 printers. My Colour
LaserJet CP2025dn did the same. You have to do quite a bit of extra
work to get it printing via PostScript. From Windows, there is not
much point unless you know what you are doing and you require access
to PostScript-specific features.

From RISC OS, this is a different matter of course. Luckily, this is
straightforward. You just install the PostScript driver (preferably,
PostScript 3 ;-)) and off you go. For the time being, you do not get
access to printer-specific features though, except by low-level
fiddling with Feeds files. Hopefully that will change at some stage...

Martin