[softwarelist] Re: OvPro and linux

  • From: John Tytgat <John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 00:59:42 +0100

In message <4CE05CC1.8000509@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> On 15/11/10 05:05, David Pilling wrote:
>
> > I seem to be using Linux more and more. So you never know. It'd not be
> > too bad to do a full Linux version, but I fear for how long it would
> > take. Windows took longer than writing the whole program for RISC OS. If
> > I could put in say three months and finish it, then I would, but three
> > years is not on.
>
>       That -would- be interesting, particularly if the UI was written
> using X11 APIs - it could probably also then run native on a Mac - which
> comes with an X windows library/application base. It does, of course,
> run happily using VRPC on a Mac!

I'm not convinced this is the best plan.  You will never end up with a
Mac application which a typical Mac user wants and expects it to be.

Using QT (http://qt.nokia.com/) is IMHO better approach (and also could
cover the Windows port over time as well).

John.
John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx                             ARM powered, RISC OS driven