[softwarelist] Re: OvPro Fonts

  • From: M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 17:00:14 +0100

In article <ab9472da52.chris@xxxxxxxx>,
   Chris Hughes <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <52da708438riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <52da6c45b5Paul@xxxxxxxx>, Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> >> Probably, this is not going to help you very much, but most of my
> >> fonts, many of which are EFF products, were giving trouble with
> >> EasyFontPro. In fact, the error messages and freezings were so
> >> numerous, that I eventually decided to delete EasyFontPro from my
> >> harddisc.

> > Not good to here - I was thinking of investing in EFP but all my
> > Fonts are EFF - I don't suppose there are any alternatives?

> Don't assume because one or two prople have had an issue its still
> an issue, no indication of which version of EFP is in use.

[ . . . ]

> To be honest the alternative is to just use the normal Fonts system.

A further option is LOOKsystems' "Font Directory Professional" which
I use for all my DTP work, in conjunction with EFF fonts on the
SA-VRPC & Kinetic, and using the equivalent EFF fonts for
OvProWindows.

FontDirPro's a very comprehensive system with a well-written manual.
I can't recall many RISC OS problems with it - just the initial
learning curve of how to operate it, and then a lot of thought about
setting it up - i.e. how I should split up my selection of fonts into
categories for ease of use. It does mean that I can keep any
quirky-but-useful fonts handy in reserve but separate from my
standard EFF ones.  I'd be lost without it.

I think the author, ?Adrian Look, has long left the RISC-OS scene,
because my version is dated 2003. But I see that it's licensed to a
certain Chris Evans (CJE, presumably) . .

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx